Federal Circuit Court of Australia and Family Court of Australia to be combined in 2019
The Federal Attorney-General has announced that the Federal Circuit Court of Australia and the Family Court will be combined in 2019. This will, it is said, result in more cases being heard each year. The logic of this is not apparent. It seems unlikely that, absent further funding for more judges, the combination of the courts will lessen the long waits litigants experience to have their cases heard.
It may, however, lessen the delay in matters where cases are transferred from the Federal Circuit Court of Australia to the Family Court of Australia and vice versa and the additional delays caused by such transfers.
The Australian Law Reform Commission is due to release its review of the family law system early next year.
Stay tuned but don’t hold your breath for much needed reforms.Tags: Family Court, Family Law Reforms, Federal Circuit Court
- Man sues wife for negligence after jumping from their Mercedes Benz 10 July 2018
- Am I in a de facto relationship? 13 June 2018
- A Lesson in Indemnity Costs Orders 11 June 2018
- There's an App for that! 08 June 2018
- Federal Circuit Court of Australia and Family Court of Australia to be combined in 2019 30 May 2018